Frequently Asked Questions

Contracting Services

Where can I view current business opportunities?

Current University of California, Santa Barbara (“UCSB”) construction bidding opportunities with an estimated value in excess of $640,000 and consultant selections with an anticipated value in excess of $100,000 are considered "formal" competitive bids/selections and must be advertised by UCSB.

Construction projects are advertised on the Contracting Services Department’s website (see below), or in a newspaper of general circulation (usually Santa Barbara News Press) AND a trade paper (usually Dodge Report) within the County of Santa Barbara. Requests for consultant qualifications and/or proposals are advertised in a relevant trade publication or professional journal AND on the State Contracts Register - a statewide bid repository website run by the California Department of General Services.

In addition, all “formal” competitive solicitations are also posted on the UCSB website:

CONTRACTOR bidding and prequalification information


CONSULTANT selection and prequalification information

How do I retrieve contract bidding documents?

The Bidding Documents associated with formal bid solicitations are available on the UCSB online planroom at Once registered on the UCSB planroom site, prospective bidders may view and/or download UCSB Construction/Bidding Documents for free.

Informal Competitive Bidding and Negotiated Awards

Contractors interested in participating in either informal competitive bidding ($50k - $640k) or awarded an agreement under a direct selection (or “negotiated”) award (<$50k), should complete and submit a Contractor Profile Form to the University in order to be listed on the UCSB Contractor/Consultant database.

How do I get added to the UCSB contractor database?

Getting listed on the UCSB Contractor/ Consultant database requires contractors and/or consultants to complete either a Contractor Profile Form or a Consultant Profile Form and return the completed item via email to

Upon receipt of a complete form, UCSB staff will add your firm to the UCSB Contractor/Consultant database, thereby making your firm’s business information available to UCSB project managers who may be interested in your firm's services for various informal UCSB construction, renovation, and/or improvement projects.

Should you have any questions or require assistance completing the Contractor/Consultant Profile Form or require additional information, please contact

How do I determine who was awarded a particular solicitation?

CONTRACTOR AWARD(S). The award of the ‘Lowest Responsible Bidder’ for each bid solicitation is posted on the UCSB Contracting Services Department internet page located at - find the project you’re interested in and click the button to view the Bid Summary and statement as to which firm is the Lowest Responsible Bidder.

CONSULTANT SELECTION(S). The short list of firms developed by the University Screening Committee and the final selection of the most qualified firm, as determined by the University Selection Committee, are both posted on the UCSB Contracting Services Department internet page located at - find the project you’re interested in and click the button to view that information.


How do I report a maintenance problem?

To submit a Maintenance or Work request to the Facilities TMA Work Request System, click here.

How do I report a maintenance emergency?

To submit a Maintenance or Work request to the Facilities TMA Work Request System, click here.

How do I report an after-hours maintenance emergency?

Call UCSB Police Department Dispatch - 805.893.3446. 

How do I order keys or lock changes?

To submit a Maintenance or Work request to the Facilities TMA Work Request System, click here.

How do I register a complaint?

Call or send email to Customer Service, 805.893.8300. 

How do I request recharge work?

To submit a Maintenance or Work request to the Facilities TMA Work Request System, click here.

How do I check on work in progress?

To submit a Maintenance or Work request to the Facilities TMA Work Request System, click here.

What maintenance services does FM fund, and what does my department fund?

Facilities Management provides these services.
If you need further information, please contact Customer Service at 805.893.8300.

FM is comprised of skilled and semi-skilled trades people.
We are responsible for the routine maintenance and repair of:

  • All state funded campus buildings.
  • The high voltage electrical distribution system.
  • Water mains.
  • Sewer and storm drains.
  • The gas distribution system.
  • Sidewalks and roadways.
  • Street and walk lights.

On a recharge basis, Facilities Management provides a wide variety of services:

  • Minor construction, refurbishment and building alterations.
  • Repair and maintenance of non-state funded buildings.
  • Custom cabinet making and refinishing.
  • Key and sign making.
  • Equipment and intrusion alarm installation.
What is FM?

Facilities Management (FM) is the division of Facilities that is responsible for the operation and maintenance of campus facilities, infrastructure, and grounds.

What is an FM Zone?

The campus is divided into four geographical zones that provide the maintenances services for the buildings and grounds within each zone. 

What are the building maintenance services that FM provides?

Building maintenance services are the building trades services including electrical, painting, carpentry, plumbing, locks, heating and cooling; and grounds and custodial services.

What is DCS?

Design & Construction Services (DCS) is the division of Facilities that is responsible for the design and construction of new facilities associated with the campus and major and minor capital improvement programs 

What is Business & Financial Planning?

Business & Financial Planning is the division of Facilities that provides financial, personnel and payroll services, stockroom, and information services support to both FM and DCS. 

As a Non-UCSB group (vendors, contractors, etc.), how do I request data/internet access?

Communication Services handles this. Their instructions are on their website at:

How do I Add or Change TMA Work Request User Account?

If you need a new User Account in order to submit a TMA Work Request, edit your existing user account name, or change your password for the TMA Work Request System, please email or call Customer Service at x8300.

Lock Shop

Why can't the Lock Shop unlock an office door for a customer who is locked out?

The Lock Shop staff does not have the authority to check a person's ID; the Campus Police Department is best suited for that. Call the Campus Police (805.893.3446) to have a campus police representative come to verify identification (two forms of identification), and proof of need to enter. Departments may authorize the Campus Police, in advance, to allow access under emergency circumstances.   

I have a key and I need to know what door it goes to? I have some keys we don't use or need anymore, do you want them back? Shall I mail them?

Send an email to Customer Service with the key information. We generally respond within two business days.  

Do you unlock and/or repair desk drawers and file cabinets?

The Lock Shop will open and supply keys for a minimum charge of one hour of labor. Contact Central Stores for repair or replacement of office furniture.   

Is the campus department responsible for installation or maintenance of electronic access control devices (e.g. Omni, Best, Radionics locks)?

Electronic access control devices are not installed or maintained by Building Maintenance funds; however, Facilities Management will install or repair these devices at the department's request on a recharge basis. 

Rates for keys? Per hour? Per key? How many keys can be cut an hour?

To submit a Maintenance or Work request to the Facilities TMA Work Request System, click here.

What is the turn around time for a key order? How do they get to the customer?

After receiving a work order from a customer, the Lockshop will cut keys and the turn-around will be 1-2 weeks. Note: When ordering keys, specify the key number (include letter).

Should I report lost keys or keys that have been found?

Yes, report lost keys to Customer Service or place the found keys in campus mail to Facilities Lockshop Mailcode 1030.

Long Range Development Plan

What is the LRDP?

The Long Range Development Plan (LRDP) is a tool used by the University of California campuses to plan facilities and services to accommodate changing demand. It is similar to a general plan used by local governments in California communities. The LRDP defines how a campus will accommodate anticipated enrollment, and faculty and staff needed to support it. An important component of the plan is a discussion of how coastal resources will be protected and enhanced.

LRDPs contain four major elements:

  1. Land Use & Development
    The plan provides guidance for future building placement and land use while maintaining adequate flexibility for future decision-making. The plan shows the location, type, and number of proposed research and academic facilities as well as housing units.
  2. Open Space
    The plan also identifies areas of potential open space. These could include paved plazas, less formal landscaped areas, undeveloped areas, and natural reserves.
  3. Transportation and Parking
    The plan shows how people move through the site and considers forms of travel, including pedestrian, bicycle, motorcycles, cars, service and delivery vehicles, and emergency vehicles. The plan also addresses parking for all vehicle types.
  4. Utilities & Infrastructure
    The LRDP discusses how campus systems for irrigation water, waste water, storm drainage, sanitary sewers, chilled water and steam, electrical distribution, natural gas, and communications will accommodate the projected campus population.
How does UC Santa Barbara compare with other UC's?

UC Santa Barbara anticipates a gradual increase in enrollment at an average annual rate of one percent. This rate would be among the lowest in the UC system.

Didn't UC Santa Barbara already have an LRDP?

Yes. The last major update to LRDP was prepared over 20 years ago, in 1990. The 2010 LRDP will extend planning to the year 2025.

What was the process for approving the LRDP and EIR?

In addition to more than 50 meetings and presentations on the LRDP, a public hearing on the draft LRDP and EIR documents was held on June 4, 2008, and the public comment period ended June 23, 2008.

University officials and environmental consultants reviewed comments and questions received during the initial public comment period and elected to rewrite and recirculate several chapters of the Draft EIR, including those on water supply and demand, wastewater capacity, traffic modeling, population and housing and greenhouse gas emissions. Public comment on these chapters extended for seven weeks beginning in February 2009, and closed on March 30, 2009.

Responses to comments were incorporated into the 2010 LRDP and EIR. The documents are available on this Web site. The LRDP and EIR was adopted by the Regents in September 2010, followed by the California Coastal Commission in November 2014.

Updates regarding next steps and the LRDP will be posted on this Web site. If you would like to receive updates via mail and/or e-mail, please click here to submit your contact information. If you are already on our outreach list, no further action is necessary. Thank you for your interest in UC Santa Barbara.

Why is UC Santa Barbara growing?

The proposed enrollment increase is needed to achieve two important objectives: accommodation of UC Santa Barbara's fair share of the increased enrollment demand in UC and continued rise in the academic excellence of the Santa Barbara campus. We are especially mindful of the need to provide access for students from this region who are interested in enrolling at UC Santa Barbara.

We are expected by the State of California and the UC system to accommodate new generations of students. The number of students seeking admission to the UC system continues to climb. The UCSB LRDP creates a blueprint for accommodating a modest percentage of that demand. We believe the proposed one percent is sensitive to community interests, consistent with regional growth projections and responsive to state demand.

UC Santa Barbara is one of the most popular campuses in the University of California system, with applications doubling in the past decade. However, in keeping with the limits agreed to under the last LRDP, on-campus enrollment has been capped at 20,000 for several years. We are proposing to meet increased demand in a managed way, maintaining a one percent annual enrollment increase of 250 students per year to carry us to the year 2025 and a maximum of 25,000 students. UC Santa Barbara's annual growth mirrors that of the entire Santa Barbara County region (about one percent per year).

Also, to maintain and advance UC Santa Barbara's position in the top tier of research universities, its academic strengths must continue to develop. Given the effort and resources invested in growing existing programs to their current levels, some managed growth is necessary to complete what has already been a substantial investment. The proportion of graduate students in particular must grow. An additional challenge will be to replace the substantial number of faculty and staff that will be retiring during this next period.

Why does UC Santa Barbara need an LRDP?

LRDPs help guide campus decisions about the long-range physical development of a campus. UC Regents use LRDPs in reviewing capital projects and approving proposals for individual buildings. The LRDP identifies sites for housing development, appropriate locations for academic and support buildings, places to expand recreational facilities, and sensitive lands that need protection and restoration.

Each physical development proposal will be subject to CEQA (California Environmental Quality Act) review.

Additionally, all development in the Coastal Zone of California, where most of UC Santa Barbara is located, requires an approved permit from the California Coastal Commission.

Who creates the UC Santa Barbara LRDP? What is the process?

The 2010 LRDP was prepared by UC Santa Barbara officials. The preparation process was multi-faceted and included a review of projected enrollment demands, analysis of assets and limitations of the campus, traffic studies, resource and service demands, capital costs and many other factors. The LRDP integrates findings and ideas from this work and describes a plan for managing growth.

UC Santa Barbara worked with planning professionals and campus leadership in the development of the LRDP. Elements of the plan were presented to a wide range of interested people and groups, including the campus community, environmental organizations, business groups, neighborhood associations and residents, and elected officials and staff members of neighboring cities and counties. The LRDP and its accompanying environmental impact report (EIR) were released in March 2008, followed by a public hearing on June 4, 2008 and close of public comment period on June 23, 2008.

Several chapters of the Draft EIR were rewritten and recirculated for comment in early 2009. The public comment period closed on March 30, 2009, and comments and questions were addressed in the 2010 Final EIR. The objective of the process was to develop an LRDP that reflected extensive community awareness and was responsive to the needs of both the local community and the people of California.

The Chancellor and UC Board of Regents approved the LRDP in September 2010. The California Coastal Commission certified a modified version in November 2014.

Where will new students, faculty, and staff live?

A plan to provide for the housing needs of students, faculty, and staff is a critically important component of the LRDP and environmental review process. UC Santa Barbara believes that the community would like to see an increase in the percentage of students and faculty housed on campus, and proposes development that would increase on-campus student housing from approximately 33 percent today to 50 percent in future years with the updated LRDP.

Sites have been identified within the bounds of the 1,055-acre UCSB campus that can accommodate the housing needs of the entire increase in students (5,000) and increase in faculty and staff (~1,000). Some housing sites may be strictly for students or faculty, but many will accommodate a mix of students, faculty, and staff.


How often are rooms/labs/offices painted as maintenance items?

Usually every 15 years.

How long will it take to get a room painted, once the request is processed for a recharge order?

This needs to be scheduled. Please contact Customer Service, 805.893.8300.

Will Facilities use paint we have purchased, or do they prefer to buy it?

We will not use paint purchased by the client. We have our own stock of excellent paint that meets EPA standards.

Do we move the furniture, or will Facilities move it? What is the cost for Central Stores to move our furniture?

Facilities does not move furniture. Contact Furniture Services, Central Stores, 805.893.2732, for furniture moving.  

How much does it cost to paint a room? Do you charge by the hour?

To submit a Maintenance or Work request to the Facilities TMA Work Request System, click here.

If you don’t have an user account, you may email us with details at or call Customer Service at x8300.


What is the best way to lookup an existing work order for a sign to find out the status on it and time frame?

Contact Customer Service, 805.893.8300, with control number.

How much does it cost to order a sign? Nameplate? It varies, depending on size, number of letters, color, type of material.

Contact Customer Service, 805.893.8300, with control number.

Can we go off of campus to order a sign?

Certainly, you may choose your own vendor. We would like to be your vendor of choice.  

How much will you charge to hang a sign or nameplate we have ordered on our own?

To request an estimate, click here.

Are there policies as to where we can hang a department sign on campus? Whom do we call?

Yes, there are policies. Please contact Customer Service at 805.893.8300.

How long before we receive the ordered sign or nameplate?

Usually this takes two to four weeks; it depends on material, size, and quantity.