The Classroom Building will be a state-of-the-art educational facility that will enable UCSB to meet its current and projected enrollment growth, providing the necessary facilities to support teaching and learning on campus. The new building is sited in the heart of the UCSB Campus at the southern end of Library Mall and is designed as an extension of the campus experience. The Classroom Building is comprised of five tiered lecture halls, three active learning classrooms, and 20 discussion classrooms; in total, the new building will provide approximately 2,000 new classroom seats for the campus community. The form and materials of the building are inspired by the surrounding context, elevating the experience of campus with outdoor circulation and collaborations spaces across all levels featuring views to the campus and beyond. The project is targeting a minimum of LEED Gold certification and is designed as an all- electric facility without the need to use natural gas.
Work in progress:
- Install new manholes and underground piping for sewer bypass.
- Install new underground chilled water piping.
- Install new underground communications conduits.
- Mass excavation for building foundations.
- Site construction fencing.
- Site demolition and clearing.
- Investigation/safe-off of existing site underground utilities.
- Preparation for construction trailer installation.
Completed Activity, previous related site preparation projects:
- Relocation of Modular Building 383.
- Construction of East and West Bike Paths.
- Demolition of Building 408.
- Removal of contaminated soil at Bldg. 408.
- Signage and traffic striping on UCEN Road.